Franco-Chinese Dual Master’s degree
in Architecture and Urban Planning
and Design // CAUP Tongji
International training, the Double Master Architecture and Urban planning and design delivers the Master Degree of Engineering.
in Town and Country Planning, which opens the doors of architectural and urban planning agencies and competitions in China, thus multiplying work opportunities.
It also awards the State Diploma of Architecture, which gives access, in addition to design, to all consulting, project management assistance, technical studies, urban planning and development functions as a salaried employee.
The double diploma can be followed by a registration in the Habilitation year for the Master’s degree in its own name (HMONP), or be followed by a registration in a doctorate, since the training provides an introduction to research.
COURSE OF STUDIES
The training is based as much on the transmission of operational know-how as on an introduction to research.
It takes place over six semesters:
- In the first year, the teachings and the initiation of the thesis/master thesis take place at the ENSAS;
- in the second year, the courses are followed at the CAUP of Tongji, and the students finalize and support their Master Thesis;
- in the third year, students finalize and support their End of Studies Project at ENSAS.
OF THE TRAINING
YEAR 1: IN FRANCE
The courses of semester 1 represent 26 ECTS credits:
- in-depth project teaching;
- introduction to research through research;
- thematic seminar;
- English language.
The courses of semester 2 represent 11 ECTS credits:
- elaboration of the dissertation/master thesis ;
- intensive week of art ;
- Chinese language.
YEAR 2: IN CHINA
During semesters 3 and 4, students from ENSAS must validate 34 ECTS credits:
- preparation and defense of the master thesis/memoire ;`
- joint urban studio and Fab’lab workshop (within the framework of the Chair of Innovative Metropolitan Mobilities and on the theme “Shanghai and Asian metropolises”).
YEAR 3: HOME INSTITUTION
Students of the double Master’s degree return to their home institution.
At ENSAS, the courses of semester 5 represent 27 ECTS credits:
- in-depth project teaching ;
- thematic seminar.
Courses in semester 6 represent 22 ECTS credits:
- preparation of the end-of-studies project (PFE) and defense;
- thematic seminar;
- internship validation: a compulsory internship must be done during the course, generally between semesters 4 and 5.
The main language of the double master is English.
CANDIDATES FROM INSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION
- Candidates studying in a school of architecture in France must have validated at least their years L1 and L2 in Diploma of Studies in Architecture (DEEA) and be in the process of validation of the year L3. Candidates will be selected subject to the successful completion of their L3 year and the final obtaining of the DEEA.
- Candidates holding a Bachelor’s degree in architecture delivered by a higher education institution in a European Union country, and officially recognized by the French government as equivalent to the DEEA, may apply directly for the double degree following the application link below.
CANDIDATES FROM OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION
Candidates holding a degree in architecture delivered by a higher education institution outside the European Union must first apply for prior admission (► procedure DAP Yellow) to enter the DEA (Master in Architecture). The application for a double degree can be made in parallel but the application for a double degree will only be taken into account if the candidate’s DAP file is deemed admissible in the first place for entry into a DEA.
In accordance with Tongji University’s regulations, all candidates of Chinese nationality (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan) must go through the admission procedure of Tongji University.
Step 1: Pre-selection on file.
Online application from February 8, 2021: https://admission.archi.fr/
Application deadline: April 30, 2021
Step 2: Oral Maintenance during the month of May
A pre-selection will be made on the basis of a dossier and candidates who meet the admission requirements will be invited to a jury interview in May.
The results will be announced in June.
Composition of the file
- Cover letter in French and English
- CVs in French and English
- Reflection on potential research topic (in English, 1 - 2 pages A4 max.)
- Transcripts from previous years of higher education
- Portfolio of study and personal projects
- Certification of proficiency in the English language, either by IELTS (overall score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each of the 3 competencies) or by TOEFL iBT (87 points)
( → more informations here )
- For candidates of foreign nationality, certification of a minimum level B2 in French (in accordance with the European framework of reference for languages).
The DEA also gives access to :
Authorization to manage the project in one’s own name
This training is intended for architects wishing to assume the responsibilities related to project management and allows registration on the roll of the Order of Architects.