A school of architecture in Strasbourg,
a century of history

petit atelier 1968

“In June 1914, a few days before the assassination of Sarajevo, the architect Theo Berst spoke out against the war and published a plea for art: “Ars rather than Mars 1”. In it, he imagined, in a premonitory way, the creation in Strasbourg of a “Higher School for Architecture and its Neighboring Domains”. A school that would go beyond national borders to bring together the best artists of both countries, that would bring together Adolf von Hildebrand, to whom Strasbourg owed the statue of the “Vater Rhein”, and Auguste Rodin, some of whose works had been exhibited there in 1907 at the Exhibition of Contemporary French Art; a school that would bring together sections of architecture, furniture, painting, sculpture, chiseling, ceramics and others. In short, a “school of applied arts where one would freely teach how craftsmanship is sublimated by art”. A precursor for Strasbourg, this project of bringing together the teaching of architecture and the crafts related to it was also a precursor for pedagogy, heralding what will be done at the Bauhaus..”

Anne-Marie CHÂTELET - https://chmcc.hypotheses.org/2966

1806

Creation in Paris of the École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts and its architecture section.

1903

Decree establishing the Regional Schools of Architecture.

1921

Decree creating the Regional School of Architecture of Strasbourg.

1922

Inauguration of the School at the Rhine Palace.

1939-1945

Closure of the School during the Second World War.

1968

Decree abolishing the architecture section of the École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts and instituting a transitional regime for studies.
The School becomes the “Institute of Architecture and Urban Planning of Strasbourg”.

1971

Decree attaching the teaching of architecture to the Ministry of Culture and ratifying the creation of teaching units of architecture.

1978

Ornano’s reform transferring the teaching of architecture to the Ministry of the Environment and the Living Environment, then to the Ministry of Equipment.

1984

Decree specifying the missions of the Schools and the organization of their teaching.

1986

Decree establishing the School as a public administrative institution.

1987

Inauguration of the School’s new premises, the Garage located on Wilson Boulevard.

1995

Schools of architecture come under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture.

1997

Organization of architectural studies in three cycles.

2005

Decree instituting the License Master Doctorate program in the Schools. The School becomes the École Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Strasbourg.

2013

Interministerial decree associating the School with the University of Strasbourg.

Inauguration of the School’s new building, the Fabrique.

2016

Inauguration of the rehabilitated building “le Garage”.

Learn more about the history of the building

 

«Des Beaux-Arts à l’Université, Enseigner l’architecture à Strasbourg»

Un ouvrage indispensable sur l’histoire de l’ENSAS !

Sous la direction d’Anne-Marie CHÂTELET et Franck STORNE ; avec la collaboration d’Amandine DIENER et Bob FLECK.

Deux volumes reliés en toile, 576 pages, 300 illustrations :

  •  volume 1 - Histoire et mémoires : la vie de l’Ecole, les lieux et les acteurs
  •  volume 2 - Dessins : travaux d’étudiants non publiés